If you think that “The Squid Game”Was the most viewed of Netflix during 2021 only because of the media impact it had worldwide by leading the memes of social networks, for the streaming platform its criteria to select the most viewed content from its catalog they are governed by other factors.
At the end of 2021, Netflix has shared an official count of the most viewed content on the platform, including movies and series that premiered in 2021, but also remember that productions from previous years remain the most viewed.
According to Netflix, in its database and TOP 10 table, one of its main selection criteria is the number of hours that each series or movie was seen during the first 28 days of its global premiere. For example, in the case of “The Squid Game”, the series has been running for 16 weeks in the international top and during its first four weeks of release it was seen for 1,650 million 450 thousand hours.
“Don’t look up”, Released a few days after the end of 2021, managed to position itself as one of the most sought-after films and this film, directed by Adam McKay, prevailed on its debut by generating 111 million hours of playback, which included the starring plot by Leonardo DiCaprio, in the top 10 in at least 94 countries in his first weekend included in the catalog.
After its first week of release, Netflix updated its count confirming that in total there have been 150 million hours of reproduction including the first days of 2022.
In Netflix’s selection, focused mainly on English-language films, the name of actress Sandra Bullock also stands out, who had already led the most viewed content when the movie “Birdbox” was released in 2018, but with the recent release of “Unforgivable”, Its leading role ranked ninth with 186 million 90 thousand hours viewed in just the three weeks after its premiere.
In the case of series, Netflix mentions that the second season of “The Witcher”, starring Henry Cavill, was crowned the best series in the category of English-speaking TV with 168.5 million hours watched, while in the Spanish content “La casa de papel: parte 5” remained one of the most viewed series for 10 weeks. “Cobra Kai”, in its fourth season accumulated 120 million 60 thousand hours viewed.
For its part, the French film “Mystery” ranked number one on the list of non-English-language films with 8.2 million hours viewed. In this field, The most recent season of “Emily in Paris” reached position two on the English-language TV chart with 107.6 million hours viewed.; In its first season the series debuted in the Top 10 list in 53 countries.
Regarding Christmas-themed content, among the most viewed titles are “The Christmas Chronicles” (1 and 2), “A Christmas in California: City Lights”, “The Boy Who Saved Christmas”, the Mexican film “ A not so cool Christmas “,” 1000 km from Christmas “and” David and the Elves “, for example.
New additions to the Top 10 lists also include the Korean romantic comedy “Aquel año Nuestro,” the Mexican series “Mother, there are only two,” the science fiction series “Sea of Tranquility,” the Scandinavian series “La chica de Oslo “, the superhero movie” Lightning Murali “and the anime movie” Stay with me Doraemon 2 “.
Beyond the new releases, before the expected premiere of “Spider-Man: no way home”, the films that Netflix has of Tom Holland’s “Spider-Man”, such as “Homecoming” was for three weeks in the international top accumulating 14 million 180 thousand hours viewed, while “Spider-Man”, starring Tobey Maguire (2002), managed to enter the popularity list with 543 thousand hours viewed.
What is the global top Netflix movies?
- Red notice (2021): 364 million 20 thousand hours viewed globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot, and directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber.
- Birdbox (2018): 282 million 20 thousand hours seen globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Sandra Bullock.
- Extraction (2020): 231 million 340 thousand hours watched globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Chris Hemsworth and directed by Sam Hargrave.
- The Irishman (2019): 214 million 570 thousand hours seen globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Robert De Niro and directed by Martin Scorsese.
- The Kissing Booth 2 (2020) The kissing booth: 209 million 250 thousand hours seen globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Joey King, Joel Courtney, and Jacob Elordi, and directed by Vince Marcello.
- 6 Underground (2019): 205 million 470 thousand hours viewed globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Ryan Reynolds and directed by Michael Bay
- Spencer Confidential (2020): 197 million 320 thousand hours seen globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by Peter Berg.
- Enola Holmes (2020): 189 million 900 thousand hours watched globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Millie Bobby Brown and Henry Cavill, and directed by Harry Bradbeer.
- Unforgivable (2021): 186 million 900 hours watched globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Sandra Bullock and directed by Nora Fingscheidt.
- Army of the dead (2021): 186 million 540 thousand hours viewed globally during its first 28 days of release. Starring Dave Bautista and Ella Purnell, directed by Zack Snyder.